Small Town Business Means a Big Time Local Connection
In November 2019, we surveyed HughesNet® for Business customers to find out more about life in small-town America. Here’s what those that responded had to say.
- 67% of our small business respondents have home-based businesses.
- 10% of our small business respondents are farms.
- 30% of our small business respondents operate a business like an accounting firm, law office, salon or health practice.
The number-one benefit of operating a small business in rural America is living where they love.
- Enables me to make a living in a place I love
- I am able to get to know my customers more personally
- Opportunity to cater to the specific needs of my community
- Less competition from big chains / national businesses.
In addition, they feel supported by their communities! Nearly 50% say people in their communities want to do business with local companies.
Most of our respondents use their satellite Internet for email and web browsing.
- Email and web browsing
- To access business services like accounting, security monitoring and payroll
- Running business website
- Running business social media accounts
- To process credit card transactions
- As back-up connectivity to another method
When asked about their biggest concerns this time of year, 35% said the availability of connectivity to handle their business needs, followed by 22%, who cited slower consumer spending due to the economy.